Announcement of the NSW State Office regarding procedure for leaving Australia

Friday - 17/04/2020 02:00

Australian citizens and permanent residents cannot travel overseas due to COVID-19 restrictions.  Dual nationals, or foreign nationals with permanent residency status in Australia, need to secure an exemption from the ABF Commissioner before they can leave Australia, even if using the passport of their other nationality. Individuals can apply online for an exemption on the Department of Home Affairs website:


Applications should include as much detailed information and supporting documentation as possible.  For example, individuals should include proof that they do not usually reside in Australia through evidence of working arrangements, school/university enrolments or property ownership.


The application should include other compelling and compassionate grounds as appropriate, including details on the reasons compelling the individual to travel – for example, care for elderly parents who live overseas, other family circumstances or medical issues. Any supporting documentation to verify family relationships and other claims will help to strengthen their case.